Treating acute kidney failure usually requires hospitalization to identify the cause and allow time for the kidney to heal. It is a serious medical condition and treatment options will depend on what caused the kidney to malfunction. Treatments for kidney failure include:
- Antibiotics to treat infection
- IV Fluids to supplement fluids in the blood
- Diuretics to eliminate extra fluid
- Medications to address blood potassium levels
- Medications to balance calcium levels
- Kidney dialysis to cleanse the blood
If the kidney failure cannot be reversed, a kidney transplant may be needed.