Treatment options for lymphedema will depend on the cause of the condition and stage of the swelling. Doctors at The Vascular Center at Mercy may refer patients to a physical therapist that specializes in managing lymphedema. Mercy is renowned for developing one of the region's most comprehensive lymphedema programs.
An individualized treatment plan may include:
- A customized or complete exercise plan
- Use of compression stockings or sleeves
- Limitation on activities that are too vigorous or repetitive
- Decongestive wrapping techniques
- Manual fluid drainage with skin stretching or massage
- Mechanical fluid drainage with pumping device
In cases of severe lymphedema, vascular surgeons may consider surgery to remove excess tissue in the arm or leg. While this reduces severe swelling, surgery can't cure lymphedema.