About The Center – Radiation Oncology at Mercy
Radiation Oncology at Mercy, led by esteemed radiation oncologist Dr. Maria Jacobs, offers cancer patients access to state-of-art radiation therapies in Downtown Baltimore. Dr. Jacobs and her colleague, Dr. Aditya Halthore, work closely with Mercy's multidisciplinary team of cancer doctors to develop comprehensive treatment plans. Addressing your cancer while treating you with compassion and respect is our top priority.
Radiation therapy can be delivered both externally and internally. X-ray or electron beam radiation through a linear accelerator is known as external beam therapy. Radiation therapy can also be given internally, known as brachytherapy or seed implant therapy. Different cancers may respond differently to radiation therapy. Our integrated team of cancer specialists will work with you to develop a treatment plan to fit your needs.
Radiation Oncology at Mercy is proud to offer some of the best radiation treatment options for a wide variety of cancers including:
Radiation Oncology - Innovative Treatments
Our radiation oncologists have introduced new technologies that provide better treatment while reducing radiation exposure and office visits:
- TrueBeam™ - offers cancer patients a fast and precise treatment option. TrueBeam provides more aggressive doses of radiation delivered faster than conventional equipment.
- Intraoperative Radiotherapy (IORT) - offers breast cancer patients a single treatment performed at the time of a lumpectomy and eliminates the need for return treatments.
- Linear accelerator – provides external radiation therapy.
- Brachytherapy (Seed Implants) - an internal radiation therapy option.
- Partial Breast Irradiation (MammoSite) - a less-invasive brachytherapy method for breast cancers.
- CT scanners, PET scan and PET/CT scan – used in conjunction with radiation for diagnosis and treatment planning.
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) - for treating smaller tumors in a precise area.
Comprehensive Cancer Care at Mercy
The treatments offered at Radiation Oncology at Mercy are part of an integrated cancer management strategy which may involve surgery and chemotherapy in addition to radiation therapy. As part of The Institute for Cancer Care at Mercy, our radiation oncologists work in close collaboration with a team of experts, offering true comprehensive cancer care:
Acclaimed Cancer Treatment Center
As part of The Institute for Cancer Care at Mercy, our Center has been recognized by the American College of Surgeons and the Commission on Cancer as an approved cancer program with Full Accreditation.
Our radiation oncologists are especially proud to consistently receive outstanding ratings from our patients. National Research Corporation has noted our Center as among the best in the Baltimore region for patient satisfaction.
Comfortable and Convenient Care
Our Main Campus offers convenient valet and self-park options at each of our buildings. Our radiation oncologists treat patients in the award-winning Weinberg Center at Mercy as well as Mercy's Community Physician Sites.
The Bunting Center, Mercy’s Main Hospital, provides comfort and amenities for patients staying on our campus. Private patient rooms feature personal bathrooms, flat screen televisions, sleep sofas and more.
Additional Content That Might Interest You