Family Childbirth & Children’s Center – Named Best Place to Have a Baby, Baltimore
The Family Childbirth & Children’s Center at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore is a family-centered facility for expectant mothers, newborn babies, pediatric patients, families and visitors, located within Mercy’s award-winning Mary Catherine Bunting Center.
Looking for the Best Place to Have a Baby in Baltimore?
Mercy Medical Center provides a team of obstetricians and certified nurse midwives as well as useful amenities, programs and education to help mothers, fathers and families prepare for pregnancy, birth and the transition to parenthood.
Led by Obstetrics and Gynecology Department Chair Dr. Robert Atlas, our family-centered approach to pregnancy and birth is focused on meeting the expectations of mothers and families in a state-of-the-art facility that includes spacious all-private rooms, rooftop gardens and comfortable waiting areas. A leader in obstetric care, Mercy was one of first in Maryland to offer a public umbilical cord blood bank and all-private NICU rooms.
See a photo gallery tour of our award-winning facilities.
The Family Childbirth & Children’s Center at Mercy offers services and amenities to best address your needs and keep you more healthy and comfortable, both inside and outside of the hospital. Our hospital is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with obstetricians to provide around-the-clock care when needed.
A Home-like Environment to Have a Baby
- Spacious private rooms for Labor & Delivery, Mother-Baby and NICU stays, including private bathrooms, stunning views of Baltimore, free TV service, reclining chairs and sleep sofas for family
- Soaking tubs available to mothers who prefer hydrotherapy for management of labor pain (we do not offer water birth)
- Rooms to accommodate multiple births
- Comfortable waiting areas for visitors with free Wi-Fi access
- Beautiful rooftop gardens that can be accessed by patients and visitors
- Sibling visitation
- Enhanced security to keep mothers and babies safe
A Comprehensive Program to Address Your Needs During Pregnancy, Delivery and Recovery
- Experienced obstetricians who offer prenatal, delivery and postnatal care for expecting mothers
- Expectant parent classes on pregnancy, childbirth, infant care, breastfeeding and sibling preparation, as well as tours of the facility
- Center for Advanced Fetal Care providing ultrasound, genetic counseling and testing, comprehensive high-risk pregnancy care, diabetic education, amniocentesis and assessment of fetal well-being
- Access to advanced treatment options during pregnancy such as robotic abdominal cerclage for cervical incompetence
- NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) - Level III-B intensive care facility offering private rooms and a full complement of specialists providing thorough diagnosis and treatment for a range of the most complex and high-risk conditions in newborn infants
- Dedicated antepartum and cesarean section rooms
- Individual lactation (breast feeding) counseling
- Umbilical cord blood bank available for mothers who wish to donate cord blood
- Home Visit program after discharge
Advanced Technologies to Monitor Mom and Baby
- Split-screen video monitoring and call systems for nurses so new mothers and babies receive close, personal care
- Increased infant security with a dedicated security officer
- In-room access to patient education
Pediatric Care with a Family-Centered Approach
Additional Content That Might Interest You