Mercy Fast Facts
Founded in 1874, Mercy Medical Center is a Catholic health care facility, sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy. It also is a teaching hospital for the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Located in downtown Baltimore at 345 St. Paul Place, Mercy is part of Mercy Health Services, Inc., which also includes Stella Maris, Central Maryland's largest long-term/geriatric care facility located in Timonium, MD, as well as an extensive network of Community Physician Sites.
Mercy has been the recipient of numerous awards and honors, including Magnet Recognition for Nursing excellence, the American Institute of Architects' Presidential Citation for Urban Design, and recognition by U.S. News & World Report.
FY 2019 Statistical Highlights
Mercy Medical Center
- Admissions: 13,333
- Births: 2,769
- Emergency Room Visits: 55,190
Patient Days of Service
- Adult and Pediatric: 46,305
- Nursery: 6,100
- Neonatal Intensive Care: 5,921
- Total Patient Days of Service: 58,326
- Average Length of Stay (days): 3.6
Ambulatory Service Visits
- Business Health Services: 32,834
- Outpatient Health Clinics (Clinic Visits): 116,218
- Operating Room Minutes: 2,295,265
- Ambulatory Surgery Cases: 21,669
- Active Physicians: 583
- Employees: 4,380
- Medical Residents & Students: 557
Medical residents and students annually receive medical training and practical experience at Mercy in the areas of Medicine, Surgery, OB/GYN, and Pediatrics, as well as in the fields of Emergency Medicine, Psychiatry, Pathology and Ophthalmology.