28 Mercy Physicians Named Among Region’s “Top Docs” in November 2016 Issue of Baltimore Magazine
A total of 28 Mercy Medical Center physicians were recognized in Baltimore magazine’s November 2016 “Top Docs” issue, representing 23 separate specialties, ranging from breast cancer surgery to varicose veins. They are (as listed in the magazine):
- Dr. Kelly Alexander, General Surgery
- Dr. Mark Applefeld, Cardiology: Interventional
- Dr. Fermin Barrueto, Urogynecology
- Dr. John Campbell, Orthopedic Surgery: Foot & Ankle
- Dr. Bernard W. Chang, Plastic Surgery: Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery: Breast
- Dr. Teresa Diaz-Montes, Gynecologic Oncology
- Dr. Susan Dulkerian, Neonatology
- Dr. R. Mark Ellerkmann, Gynecology: General
- Dr. J. Lawrence Fitzpatrick, General Surgery
- Dr. Neil B. Friedman, Breast Surgery and Oncology: Breast
- Dr. Scott Huber, Gastroenterology
- Dr. Dwight D. Im, Gynecologic Oncology
- Dr. Maria Jacobs, Radiation Oncology
- Dr. Clifford Jeng, Orthopedic Surgery: Foot & Ankle
- Dr. Peter Ledakis, Oncology: General
- Dr. Paul Lucas, Surgery for Chronic Venous Disease/Varicose Veins
- Dr. Lynn Ludmer, Rheumatology
- Dr. David Maine, Pain Management
- Dr. Andrea Marx, Rheumatology
- Dr. Albert Polito, Pulmonary
- Dr. Neil B. Rosenshein, Gynecologic Oncology
- Dr. John Salkeld, Radiology: Nuclear Medicine
- Dr. Armando Sardi, Surgical Oncology
- Dr. David Sill, Interventional Radiology
- Dr. Amish Sura, Cardiology: Interventional
- Dr. Thomas Swope, General Surgery
- Dr. Debra Vachon, ColoRectal
- Dr. Linda C. Wang, Dermatology (Medical)
Mercy’s Dr. Maria C.E. Jacobs, Director of Radiation Oncology, was among several doctors photographed and profiled for the special edition.
Dr. Jacobs works in close collaboration with the cancer surgeons, including fellow Baltimore magazine “Top Doc” honoree, Dr. Neil B. Friedman, Director, The Hoffberger Breast Center to coordinate post surgical treatment for breast cancer patients.
Dr. Jacobs and Dr. Friedman were the first team of doctors in the state of Maryland to use Intraoperative Radiotherapy (IORT), a state-of-the-art technology that allows patients to get treated in one single radiation therapy session – a notable advantage over the many multiple visits required prior to IORT.
Each Mercy physician was recognized as among the best in their respective fields. Other honorees included Neil B. Rosenshein, M.D., FACOG, Director of The Lya Segall Ovarian Cancer Institute at Mercy, a National Center of Excellence, which Dr. Rosenshein was instrumental in its founding, development and state-of-the-art design; Dwight D. Im, M.D., FACOG, renowned gynecologic cancer surgeon and leader of Mercy Medical Center’s prestigious gynecology and robotic surgery programs, and been named a “Top Doctor" for 2016 earlier this year by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd.; Armando Sardi, M.D., FACS, respected and renowned Surgical Oncologist who has been honored as a Top Doc in Baltimore magazine multiple times, serves as Medical Director of The Institute for Cancer Care at Mercy and as Chief of Division of Surgical Oncology at Mercy and recognized internationally for his work in the field of Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) to treat late stage, complex cancers of the abdominal region; and Teresa P. Diaz-Montes, M.D., MPH, FACOG, Associate Director of The Lya Segall Ovarian Cancer Institute, the first center in the region specifically designed for the treatment of ovarian cancer.
Founded in 1874, Mercy Medical Center is a university-affiliated medical facility named one of the top 100 hospitals in the U.S. by Thomson-Reuters with a national reputation for women’s health. Mercy is home to the nationally acclaimed Weinberg Center for Women’s Health and Medicine as well as the $400+ million, 20-story Mary Catherine Bunting Center. For more information visit Mercy online at www.mdmercy.com, Facebook, Twitter or call 1-800-MD-MERCY.
Additional Content That Might Interest You