Armando Sardi, M.D.
Medical Director, The Institute for Cancer Care at Mercy
- 410-332-9294 410-332-9294
- Fax: 410-332-9731
- Surgical Oncology
Areas of Interest:
- Abdominal Cancers
- The Weinberg Center at Mercy
Armando Sardi, M.D.
Armando Sardi, M.D., is a respected and renowned surgical oncologist who has been honored as a "Top Doctor" in Baltimore magazine multiple times. He serves as Medical Director of The Institute for Cancer Care at Mercy in Downtown Baltimore, Maryland.
HIPEC – A Best New Treatment Option for Cancer
Dr. Sardi is one of Maryland’s leading surgical oncologists who use Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) to treat late stage, complex cancers of the abdominal region. Dr. Sardi has been performing HIPEC procedures since 1994 and is considered to be among the best doctors using the technique. This advanced heated chemotherapy procedure is often a life saving treatment option for patients who have exhausted more traditional treatment plans for stomach cancer. Patients have traveled to Mercy Medical Center from points up and down the East Coast as well as across the U.S. and the world to seek out Dr. Sardi for his cancer expertise in the HIPEC treatment.
Cancer Care is About Survivorship
Dr. Armando Sardi is a man whose professional focus is devoted to medical excellence, research and finding a cure for cancer. For his patients, Dr. Sardi’s personal concern and approach to their care is what helps them gain a positive outlook and confidence to face the challenges ahead. His cheerful smile and kind hearted laugh immediately put patients at ease. And yet, it his unyielding determination to give every patient the best possible chance to overcome their illness that ranks him among the best of the best.
When other doctors have told patients there is no hope, Dr. Sardi tries even harder to beat the odds. Thanks to Dr. Sardi, the HIPEC procedure and other leading edge treatment options, he has given patients so much more than hope. Patient after patient, year after year, have shared their stories at Mercy’s National Cancer Day Survivor Celebration and Mercy's annual Heat It to Beat It fundraising event. There are 3, 5, 10 year cancer survivors – each telling a heartwarming story of hope and survivorship.
Leader In Cancer Advancements
Dr. Sardi elevates the focus on best-in-practice cancer care treatments through a number of behind the scene initiatives. He co-Chairs Mercy’s Cancer Committee and actively participates in The Tumor Board. These efforts allow cancer experts, specialists and key members of the healthcare team to discuss and collaborate on complex cancer cases to learn new and different ways to optimize resources, medical knowledge and treat patients so that long-term results will be improved.
Dr. Sardi also plays a key role in the Mercy National Cancer Survivor Day festivities. This joyous and spirited celebration is more than a reunion of cancer survivors, it is a day when Dr. Sardi and the Mercy family rejoice with their patients and loved ones. Together they have been through a long and challenging cancer journey and together they delight in all the possibilities ahead.
Worldwide Cancer Treatments
Dr. Armando Sardi, whose celebrated reputation has garnered local and international acclaim, has earned an international reputation for the advances he has made in the surgical oncology field and for his humanitarian efforts to care for the poor and underserved in third world countries.
Dr. Sardi has been distinguished in Colombia, South America as one of the 100 Most Influential Expatriates – an honor received, in part, for the medical care he provides through the non-profit organization, Partners for Cancer Care and Prevention. This organization was the recipient of the Conquer Cancer Foundation's Inaugural International Innovation Grant. Additionally, Dr. Sardi was named to a list of "Medical Geniuses that Make Colombia Proud" in La Nota Económica - a Colombian economic analysis magazine.
Awards and Recognition as a Top Cancer Doctor
Dr. Armando Sardi has been recognized for his research, leadership and compassionate bedside manner. Some of his awards include:
- “Hispanic Hero Award for Excellence as a Medical/Social Entrepreneur” Presented by USHYEE
- “Gold Star Teamwork Award” Presented by The Sisters of Mercy in recognition of Gold Star performance
- Honored by Fusionarte as one of “100 Colombianos” who represent the talent, creativity and perseverance of Colombia. Bogota, Colombia December 2012
- Named by Baltimore magazine a "Top Doctor" in the Surgical Oncology specialty
- Named by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. as one of "America's Top Doctors" in Surgery
- Named by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. as one of "America’s Top Doctors for Cancer"
Education & Fellowships
- Fellowship – Ohio State University Hospital
- Residency – Saint Agnes Hospital
- Medical Degree – Universidad del Valle, Cali, Colombia
Associations & Memberships
- American College of Surgeons
- Society of Surgical Oncology
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- The Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
- Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland
- Southeastern Surgical Association
- American Medical Association
- Association of the Alumni of the "Division de Salud of the Universidad del Valle
- National Cancer Institute - Clinical Investigator
See a list of insurances accepted at Mercy. Restrictions may apply. Patients should confirm coverage with their carrier prior to appointment date.