Sy Sarkar, M.D.
Sy Sarkar, M.D., is a Board Certified interventional pulmonologist with The Lung Center at Mercy in Baltimore, Maryland. He serves as Director of Interventional Pulmonary Services and leads Interventional Pulmonology at Mercy. Dr. Sarkar sees patients for a wide range of conditions affecting the lungs including lung cancer, pleural effusions and hemoptysis.
Respected Baltimore Interventional Pulmonologist
Dr. Sarkar is an experienced and highly respected interventional pulmonary specialist who cares for patients with pulmonary disease. Skilled in minimally invasive procedures, including leading edge robotic bronchoscopy and pleuroscopy, Dr. Sarkar offers advanced diagnostic and therapeutic procedures for the airways, lungs and pleura. He collaborates with referring physicians and Mercy cancer specialists in the diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer and related disease.
Experienced Pulmonary Author, Researcher and Lecturer
Dr. Sarkar is Board Certified in Pulmonary Disease Medicine and Critical Care Medicine. He has written and contributed to numerous publications, abstracts and research studies regarding lungs and airway management. He has served as faculty and director of more than a dozen clinical courses, and he has served on several hospital committees and peer review and editorial boards. Dr. Sarkar is a member of a number of notable professional societies, including the American Thoracic Society.
Education & Fellowships
- Fellowship - Pulmonary/Critical Care, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD
- Fellowship - Interventional Pulmonology, MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center, Baltimore, MD & Visity Fellow Hospital Sainte Margurerite, Marseille, France
- Internship - MedStar Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- Residency - MedStar Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- Medical Degree - Saba University School of Medicine
Associations & Memberships
- American College of Physicians
- Maryland Thoracic Society
- American Thoracic Society
- American College of Chest Physicians
- American Association of Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology
- World Association for Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology
- European Association for Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology
See a list of insurances accepted at Mercy. Restrictions may apply. Patients should confirm coverage with their carrier prior to appointment date.