About the Center
An experienced team and state-of-the-art equipment designed for pinpoint accuracy to target cancers.
Radiation Oncology at Mercy is led by Medical Director and esteemed radiation oncologist Dr. Maria Jacobs. Dr. Jacobs and her colleague Dr. Christian Okoye offer cancer patients access to state-of-art radiation therapies for lung cancer, breast cancer, abdominal cancer and head and neck cancer.
Acclaimed Cancer Treatment Center
Mercy's radiation oncologists work closely with a top rated team of cancer doctors of The Institute for Cancer Care at Mercy to develop individualized, comprehensive treatment plans. The Mercy radiation oncology team addresses patients who are facing cancer with an extraordinary level of compassion, concern and respect.
Radiation Oncology is part of the renowned Institute for Cancer Care at Mercy, which has been recognized by the American College of Surgeons and the Commission on Cancer as an approved cancer program with Full Accreditation.
Radiation Oncology at Mercy is located in The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Center at Mercy Medical Center in Downtown Baltimore. This highly sophisticated Center of Excellence is fitted with state-of-the-art complex equipment designed for pinpoint accuracy and to minimize damage to non-cancerous cells and tissue.
Leading Edge Radiation Oncology Treatment Options
Radiation Oncology at Mercy Medical Center offers three primary radiation treatment options. Mercy's highly skilled radiation oncology team administers tailored cancer treatments using Brachytherapy, Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy and TrueBeam Therapy.
- Brachytherapy involves placing radioactive material inside the body. The procedure allows doctors to deliver higher doses of radiation in a more localized and precise manner as compared to external beam radiation.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy is a sophisticated, computer-guided radiation therapy technique in which precise doses of radiation are delivered to very specific areas. A significant attribute of Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy is that the radiation conforms to the shape of the tumor.
- TrueBeam treatment consists of a beam of radiation, or collection of beams, that are generated by a linear accelerator. The treatment beam can be targeted to a tumor from multiple angles to strike the target in a complete three-dimensional (3D) way. TrueBeam treatments offer patients the lowest possible dose of radiation to the surrounding healthy tissue, while still delivering the maximum dose radiation to the cancerous tumor.
Addressing a Variety of Cancers
Radiation Oncology at Mercy offers treatment for a variety of cancers including:
- Breast cancer
- Gynecologic cancers
- Abdominal cancers
- Melanoma (skin cancer)
- Lung cancer
- Prostate cancer
Understanding the Advantages of Radiation Oncology Treatments
Mercy radiation oncologists have introduced technologies that provide better treatment while reducing radiation exposure and office visits:
- TrueBeam - offers cancer patients a fast and precise treatment option. TrueBeam provides more aggressive doses of radiation delivered faster than conventional equipment
- Intraoperative Radiotherapy (IORT) - offers breast cancer patients a single treatment performed at the time of a lumpectomy and eliminates the need for return treatments
- Linear accelerator – provides external radiation therapy
- Brachytherapy (Seed Implants) - an internal radiation therapy option
- Partial Breast Irradiation (MammoSite) - a less-invasive brachytherapy method for breast cancers
- CT scanners, PET scan and PET/CT scan – used in conjunction with radiation for diagnosis and treatment planning
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) - for treating smaller tumors in a precise area
Comprehensive Cancer Care at Mercy
The treatments offered at Radiation Oncology at Mercy are part of an integrated cancer management strategy which may involve surgery and chemotherapy in addition to radiation therapy.
As part of The Institute for Cancer Care at Mercy, our radiation oncologists work in close collaboration with a team of experts, offering a comprehensive approach to cancer care:
- Surgical Oncology at Mercy - cancer doctors providing advanced surgical options
- Medical Oncology and Hematology at Mercy - a team of dedicated oncology specialists
- Outpatient Chemotherapy - an expert nursing staff and a comfortable setting for care
- The Center for Women’s Imaging at Mercy - advanced biopsy and imaging technologies
- Physical and Occupational Therapy - a team of therapists helping cancer patients with the prevention and treatment of post-operative issues
- Support Services - genetic testing, clinical trials, patient resource navigator, counseling, social work, pastoral care
Comfortable and Convenient Care
Radiation Oncology at Mercy is located on the Main Mercy Medical Center Campus in Downtown Baltimore and offers convenient valet and self-park options. Our radiation oncologists treat patients in the award-winning Weinberg Center at Mercy.